Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. is an iconic American brand that for many consumers stands for “low carb,” “low sugar” and “protein rich” nutrition. We are a growing developer, marketer and seller of branded nutritional foods and snacking products, and a proponent of a lower carbohydrate lifestyle. Our product portfolio consists of an array of delicious, “better for you” nutrition bars, ready-to-drink (“RTD”) shakes, snacks and confectionery products marketed under the Atkins®, SimplyProtein®, Atkins Harvest Trail, Atkins Endulge® and Atkins Lift brand names. We also provide a range of frozen meals and breakfast items through a license to Bellisio Foods. We market our products through a variety of methods, including social media, television spots and print advertising. We have operations in several foreign countries and are excited about strategic plans for future growth.
Our small legal team of professionals supports all areas of our business, including, product development, marketing, sales, supply chain, regulatory, human resources, finance, information systems. We are looking for a talented lawyer with significant experience in consumer products, preferably food related, to support our marketing, sales and operations teams. In this role, the ideal candidate would be able to, among other things:
- Review and advise in house marketing department on all advertising and marketing campaigns (digital, television and print and social media) during all stages of advertising to ensure that all materials are legally compliant; oversee claim substantiation, packaging design and disclosure, and the Atkins websites
- Advise on related FDA, FTC, NAD, privacy, consumer protection and related regulatory law. Advise on consumer online community forums and platforms sponsored by Atkins
- Oversee marketing and promotion compliance activities associated with brand innovation to support launch of company innovations in a timely manner
- Help establish guidelines and processes to monitor and guide the marketing, packaging and product development activities of our subsidiaries in North America and around the world to ensure awareness of activities
- Work closely and cooperatively with Quality Assurance and Regulatory and Research and Development departments to advise the business of FDA, state and federal and other legal issues surrounding product research and development, regulatory reporting, and premarket regulatory authorizations
- Draft and review contracts, licenses and provide related negotiation for all business functions
- Assist in creating and standardizing legal department processes and policies with regard to contract management, including training materials, updating contract templates, establishing and updating company contract standards; assist in establishing a contract management policy
- Work with General Counsel on establishing and updating compliance policies and norms for the Company
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in law firm setting. In-house/corporate counsel experience strongly desired
- Experience negotiating and drafting contracts, leases, licensing, promotional, and other agreements in a consumer products arena
- Competence in a broad range of corporate and business laws including FDA, FTC, privacy, and social and other media, marketing and related product and consumer laws, commercial contracts, intellectual property and information technology knowledge is a plus
- Ability to think enterprise wide and identify and analyze complex issues and devise creative solutions and strategies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong drafting, negotiating and writing skills, as well as the ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly, creative manner
- An excellent work ethic, commitment to professionalism and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with all levels of co-workers both internal and external
- Must be willing to take ownership of projects and think proactively;
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and work through projects with minimal supervision; prioritize workload efficiently and effectively
- Admission to the Colorado Bar or appropriate state Bar
- Willing to be hands on and willing to jump in and assist at all levels
We are only considering local candidates at this time - relocation is not available for this role.
ANI provides equal employment opportunity to all persons and does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability or veteran status.